Published On:

Cost of living payment worth £200 now open – how you can claim the cash | Personal Finance | Finance

Share This

Struggling households are poised to receive cost of living payments worth £200 in the coming weeks, with applications now open for claims.

The financial aid is part of the Government’s Household Support Fund scheme, which provides local councils across the UK with funds to assist vulnerable individuals impacted by escalating costs. The type of support offered is determined by each individual authority, resulting in a postcode lottery for assistance.

East Riding Council is automatically distributing payments of £200 to certain households, while also allowing residents to apply for one. To qualify for an automatic payment, you must be receiving Council Tax support and:.

Care leavers responsible for their address’s Council Tax will also receive the money, as well as those who applied last year and received a Household Support payment. East Riding Council has stated that the money will be paid out by the end of July automatically, eliminating the need for application.

If the council does not have your bank details, you will be contacted in the upcoming weeks, reports the Mirror.

To be eligible to apply for a payment, you must reside in East Riding, be employed and not claiming benefits, earn less than £28,000 a year if a single household – or £33,000 for a dual income – and have less than £6,000 in savings. Unpaid carers can also apply under the same criteria, provided the person they care for is claiming a disability benefit.

You can apply for the £200 cash online through East Riding’s website and households should receive the payment within 20 days of making the application. The application window is open until August 31 this year.

In the spring budget, Chancellor Jeremy Hunt extended the Household Support Fund scheme by another six months until September 2024, providing an additional £500million in funding. Since its inception in October 2021, it has received approximately £3billion from the central Government.

The Households Support Fund scheme typically offers free cash payments, supermarket and energy vouchers, and additional Council Tax support. Local councils are currently announcing what assistance they will be providing in the coming months.

To find out what this is you should visit your local council’s website. Usually, they will have a separate cost of living tab which details the help on offer.

Source link

Most Popular News